Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

  • From: Gian Constantine
  • Date: Sun Jan 21 18:39:36 2007

Actually, I acknowledged the calculation mistake in a subsequent post.

Gian Anthony Constantine
Senior Network Design Engineer
Earthlink, Inc.

On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Petri Helenius wrote:

Gian Constantine wrote:

I agree with you. From a consumer standpoint, a trickle or off-peak download model is the ideal low-impact solution to content delivery. And absolutely, a 500GB drive would almost be overkill on space for disposable content encoded in H.264. Excellent SD (480i) content can be achieved at ~1200 to 1500kbps, resulting in about a 1GB file for a 90 minute title. HD is almost out of the question for internet download, given good 720p at ~5500kbps, resulting in a 30GB file for a 90 minute title.

Kilobits, not bytes. So it's 3.7GB for 720p 90minutes at 5.5Mbps. Regularly transferred over the internet.
Popular content in the size category 2-4GB has tens of thousands and in some cases hundreds of thousands of downloads from a single tracker. Saying it's "out of question" does not make it go away. But denial is usually the first phase anyway.

Pete