Re: Undersea fiber cut after Taiwan earthquake - PCCW / Singtel / KT e tc connectivity disrupted

  • From: Justin M. Streiner
  • Date: Sun Jan 21 16:01:18 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Aaron Glenn wrote:
Just the other night I was trolling marketing materials for various
lit services from a number of providers and I ran across what I found
to be an interesting PDF from the ol' SBC (can't find it at the
moment). It was a government services  product briefing and in it it
detailed six levels of path diversity. These six levels ranged from
"additional fiber on the same cable" to "redundant, diverse paths to
redundant facility entrances into redundant wire centers". What struck
me as interesting is that the government gets clearly definied levels
of diversity for their services, but I've never run across anything
similar in the commercial/enterprise/wholesale market.

I believe such levels of diversity and detail were specifically mandated for the Fedwire.

Are the Sprints/Verizons/ATTs/FLAGs/etc of the world clearly defining
levels of diversity for their services to people?

From past discussions with them when I was in the ISP world, I'd have to
say for the most part the answer is no, and the bits of info that deviated from that stance were normally divulged under NDA.

jms