Re: Google wants to be your Internet

  • From: Charlie Allom
  • Date: Sat Jan 20 19:12:53 2007

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:55:49 -0600 (CST), Gadi Evron wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Randy Bush wrote:
>>
>> the question to me is whether isps and end user borders (universities,
>> large enterprises, ...) will learn to embrace this as opposed to
>> fighting it; i.e. find a business model that embraces delivering what
>> the customer wants as opposed to winging and warring against it.

interesting.. i was about to say..

I am involved in London, in building an ISP that encourages users of
p2p with respect from major and independent record labels. it makes
sense that the film industry will (and is?) moving towards some kind of
acceptance as well.

> Thing is though, it is quivalent to one or all of the following:
> -. EFF-like thinking (moral high-ground or impractical at times, yet
>    correct and to live by).
> -. (very) Forward thinking (yet not possible for people to get behind - by
>    people I mean those who do this daily), likely to encounter much
>    resistence until it becomes mainstream a few years down the road.
> -. Not connected with what can currently happen to affect change, but
>    rather how things really are which people can not yet accept.

well, a little dash of all thinking makes for a healthy environment
doesn't it?

> This is a pure example of a problem from the operational front which can
> be floated to research and the industry, with smarter solutions than port
> blocking and QoS.

This is what I am interested/scared by.

  C.
--