Re: How big a network is routed these days?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Jan 17 18:43:47 2007

On 17-Jan-2007, at 18:36, Owen DeLong wrote:

Actually, generally, the expectation under 4.4 is that the addresses will not be advertised at all for the most part, since, generally, there's no need to advertise the route to the exchange point, itself, into the global routing table. 4.4 is intended to support internet exchanges, ala MAEs, etc.

... and operators of critical DNS infrastructure, as the text I quoted indicated. Not much point in numbering a TLD server out of a block that isn't going to be advertised.

In terms of 4.3.2.1 and 4.3.2.2, I believe ARIN has worked very hard to express no expectation or
intent about how assignments relate to route advertisements and routing policy.

Indeed, as I believe I mentioned.

Joe