Re: How big a network is routed these days?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Jan 17 12:48:21 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 12:19 PM, David Freedman wrote:

I'm interested as to why RIRs dont set the minimum PI allocatable to /24 in order to fit with the current trend.

In the 2002-3 micro-assignment policy, the RIR's assign a minimum of a /22. As far as I know, all of the PI
/24's are thus "legacy" in nature. From my experience, /24's and longer
assigned by RIRs likely to be routed, as well as ones
from the old class C space, and people have mostly had problems with / 24 PA space in the old Class A and B space.

Your milage, of course, definitely may vary here.

Regards
Marshall

I mean, I can see the reason for smaller allocations where an LIR routes and aggregates both but these are rare and probably legacy examples.

Changing the allocation policy such that a /24 minimum exists for PI would be a good thing IMHO, forcing people to either apply for portions of PA space from LIRs (and having LIRs do what they should be doing)
or lie through their teeth to get a /24 (but then not try and wonder why anything smaller is not routed correctly)

Of course I'm probably opening the proverbial can of worms about who should or shouldn't apply and how they do, but I do find the possibility of obtaining a sub /24 PI allocation a little odd in this day and age.

Dave.