Re: what happens when you put a typo in a DNSBL server?

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Tue Jan 16 13:11:38 2007

> Previous to this date a misconfigured ISP was just not being
>protected by the BL.  Now, it's potentially dropping all mail from
>anyone because of the typo.

If only.  I am constantly amazed at the bozos who misconfigure their
DNSBL lookups and don't notice.  Many people are just sure that
abuse.net is a blacklist, and no matter what I do (try looking up
2.0.0.127.abuse.net) they keep hammering on it.  I also see lookups to
names with http// in them and just about any other idiotic mistake you
can imagine, again no set of responses seems to get their attention.

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.