Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Jan 12 23:29:45 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Gian Constantine wrote:

I am pretty sure we are not becoming a VoD world. Linear programming is much better for advertisers. I do not think content providers, nor consumers, would prefer a VoD only service. A handful of consumers would love it, but many would not.

My experience is that when you show people VoD, they like it. A lot of people won't abandon linear programming because it's easy to just watch whatever is "on", but if you give them the possibility of watching VoD (DVD sales of TV series for instance) some will definately start doing both. Same thing with HDTV, until you show it to people they couldn't care less, but when you've shown them they do start to get interested.

I have been trying to find out the advertising ARPU for the cable companies for a prime time TV show in the US, ie how much would I need to pay them to get the same content but without the advertising, and then add the cost of VoD delivery. This is purely theoretical, but it would give a rough indication on what a VoD distribution model might cost the end user if we were to add that distribution channel. Does anyone know any rough figures for advertising ARPU per hour on primetime? I'd love to hear it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]