Demand for 10G connections

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jan 10 15:59:47 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, William B. Norton wrote:
Why are folks turning away 10G orders?

In Hollywood, San Francisco and a few other cities with large concentration
of movie/entertainment industries 10G network connections have been sold for at least a year, not necessarily connected to the "Internet."

Don't we go through this every other network generation? I seem to recall the NSFNET only being able to handle 22Mbps on its T3 (45Mbps) connections
for a while. A few years later, another backbone was out of capacity and had to stop selling new connections for several months while it caught up.
Later we had the OC12, OC48 bottleneck on switches being used at some exchange points and getting GigE connections was a problem. And so on and so on.

We'll have wailing and gnashing of teeth for many months but somehow things will balance out again as technology, equipment and revenue catch
up with each other. And then it will start over again with someone wanting 100GE connections, and then 1000GE connections, etc, etc.