Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Wed Jan 10 13:13:03 2007

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Actually, this is true with unicast as well.

This can (I think) largely be handled by a fairly moderate amount of Forward Error Correction.

Regards
Marshall
Before "streaming" meant HTTP-like protocols over port 80 and UDP was actually used, we did some experiments with FEC and discovered that reasonable interleaving (so that two consequtive packets lost could be recovered) and 1:10 FEC resulted in zero-loss environment in all cases we tested.

Pete