Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Wed Jan 10 11:13:41 2007

Alexander Harrowell wrote:
Analogous to the question of whether digicams, iPods etc will
eventually be absorbed by mobile devices.

I guess eventually it will go the other way around as well. I was very surprised not to see Steve Jobs announce an iPod Nano-Phone. A iPod Nano with bare-bone GSM functionality as provided by one of the recent single-chip developments from TI and SiLabs AeroFon. Would fit nicely and cover 85% of all use cases, that is voice and SMS. True mass-market. Pop in your SIM and you're ready to rock. A slightly enhanced click-wheel would make a nice input device too (and no, do not emulate a rotary phone). All together would cost only $15 more than the base iPod. GSM single chip is really cheap.

Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

--
Andre