Re: RIS [Re: AS41961 not seen in many networks]

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Fri Jan 05 05:18:13 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Alexander Koch wrote:
On Fri, 5 January 2007 08:11:41 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
Well, the undocumented fact is that RIS does not accept multi-hop BGP
peerings, which may somewhat limit its coverage.

Why then do I have one? They do such things, they indeed do.

Well, some time ago we opened a ticket to create RIS peering, and it was set up but didn't work, because they didn't realize it'd be multihop (about 3 hops). The peering was cancelled.

Below is the "explanation" (NCC#2005120077 rrc07):

===8<====
Actually we didn't notice immediately the request was meant to be for
multi-hop.

We normally prefer not to configure multi-hop sessions. It would be
preferable for us if you are present at the common IXP location with
the RIS project so that we can establish a session there.

You can check out locations at:
http://www.ripe.net/projects/ris/docs/peering.html

The sessions are now cancelled.

This policy was not, AFAIR, available in any public documents.

So I wouldn't be surprised if RIS's coverage was somewhat limited.