on a different "manners" topic, was Re: Phishing...

  • From: Edward Lewis
  • Date: Wed Jan 03 09:35:46 2007

I'm not going to pick on the "it's" (grammatically correct, but it refers the email disclaimers which I don't feel like commenting on) but I want to say that I've come to appreciate top-posting. With top-posts, there is no need to scroll down the list, and it is more like a conversation than injecting comments in-line.

Some say that top-posting reverses the conversation, but if you are thumbing through the archives of top-posted threads, each contribution is on the first screen and you can navigate message to message in time-order. In my personal opinion, reading through archives of in-lined threads is much more of a problem - for one because threads take off in other directions and an in-line conversation never stands alone. Usually with a few nested in-lines I loose "who said what" context too.

(As an exercise, try to prepare a reply in-line and then as a top-post. You will see that in-line means less typing, as you don't have to "rephrase the question." In-line is less work to render, but I think it is a poor communication style.)

As far as the HTML, I don't think I use it, but I fail to see why it's rude. Sorry, it is newer technology and it does screw up old tools. (I do get bit by it - the hotels seem to love HTML confirmations that I can't read on my work mailer.) It's my/reader's choice to not use newer tools.

I do agree that full quoting is a pain - especially when the message is less than 1% new content. Especially when all them new headers (DKIM keys and what not) fill up my screen first anyway. Yeah, I know, "upgrade."

There. I've said it...oh, and the disclaimers don't give me heartburn. I just ignore them.