RE: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Wed Jan 03 05:03:15 2007

I didn't see the original post but the topic came
up in 2005 here in the UK as the banks here wanted to
use BGP filtering in the same light. The LINX prepared
a paper on the issues with BGP blackholing and recommended
that if the banks want to trade on the Internet that
they should introduce authentication systems that are fit
for purpose (SecureID for example (many banks had already
done this)). I will try and find a link to the paper
that was prepared. After we presented the paper the idea
was not taken forward.

Unfortunately since then an alternative technology route to do
filtering in proxies and transparent caches has appeared on the scene
and even more so the government here in the UK has been convinced
by mad^wmarketing people and is now under the false impression that
"it is now technically possible to filter the Internet". The aim of
this filtering is an admirable one for sure but the platform fundamentally
doesn't work and even more worryingly ideas are now being muted to
filter other content such as terrorism, phishing etc.

Regards,
Neil.