Re: Collocation Access

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Thu Dec 28 15:05:52 2006

Here is a true story. Pardon me for being a little vague about details.

Client in argument about (large) expense payments with former employee (FE) (not me, BTW).
FE wants payment, client says
money is not owed. I am in no position to judge correctness of either argument.

FE used to have collation access in remote location (at least, remote from the client, but close to the FE).

One fine Friday evening of a long weekend, quite late, FE goes to colo
(where he has been removed from the access list). Shows ID to guards, who knew him well, and
is let in, list or no list. FE goes to cage and
removes router from colo, leaving a note, saying he will exchange router for money's owed. Takes router
to a "secure location."

Alarms go off at client HQ. People puzzle over dropped circuits, spend time trouble-shooting, other people are woken up. Eventually, as no progress is being made, "warm hands" are desired. With all this confusion and the late night weekend, it takes a number of hours before the warm hands reach the colo. When they open the rack door, they are asked to read off some status lights.

What lights ?, they say.

On the router.

What router ?, they say. [long silence] There is an envelope with a note, though, report the warm hands.

The FE got the money he wanted. The client got their router back. I am not sure if the guards were
reprimanded or not.

Regards
Marshall