Re: Collocation Access

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Dec 27 17:23:09 2006

On Dec 27, 2006, at 3:42 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 09:06 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
Savvis wants to retain your ID if they issue a cage-key to you.
If they (or others) asked you to let them hold $50 cash to cover their
key/lock replacement costs would you feel more comfortable?
Very much so.

I realize this may not be a universally held preference. I also realize the trouble in having low-paid security guards, frequently "outsourced" so they are not even your employees, handling cash from random people at all hours of the day, night, and weekends. But I'd much rather lose $50 and argue about getting that back than my passport. ESPECIALLY since I would only be giving my passport when I am out of the country.

To open a totally separate can-of-worms, why not take my driver's license? Easier to replace than a passport and much less trouble when crossing borders. And before someone says "they don't know what a DL from $COUNTRY looks like", realize that they really don't know what a passport looks like either.

--
TTFN,
patrick