RE: Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Tue Dec 26 10:53:18 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Frank Bulk wrote:

> I wouldn't mind if upstream utilization matched downstream rates as we're
> essentially paying for downstream utilization, not upstream.  Are there more
> pieces to the bandwidth puzzle that would start getting messed up if ISPs
> and end-users were more symmetrical in their usage?

it might also be interesting to know how tcp-stack differences affect some
of the usage patterns as well. With the now widely deployed win* platform
tcp stach respecting tcp-reno things work according to well
understood/accepted models. Mac OSX, linux and Vista seem to NOT respect
tcp-reno, and may change the models somewhat... Will this cause more
spikiness on individual links? will this change in behaviour on a wide
scale (vista rollout to new computers or to existing platforms) causing
folks capacity planning models to fail?