Re: Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

  • From: Alexander Harrowell
  • Date: Tue Dec 26 05:04:31 2006

"Mobile access to Orb or Slingbox does not include using your mobile as
a modem."

Not sure what that means. They certainly support mobile>usb>pc or datacard use, so it's not that. Do they mean no Slingbox viewing on a pc attached to a mobile? Why?

On 12/26/06, Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> wrote:

On Dec 25, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>     Kenjiro Cho, Kensuke Fukuda, Hiroshi Esaki, & Akira Kato.
>     "The Impact and Implications of the Growth in Residential
>     User-to-User Traffic."
>     SIGCOMM2006, pp207-218. Pisa, Italy. September 2006.
>     <http://www.iijlab.net/~kjc/papers/rbb-sigcomm2006.pdf>

I saw this paper when it came out Randy, thanks - I had several
interrelated questions about TOS/AUP, and whether or not the presumed
legality/illegality of a potentially popular non-infringing home
media server vs. standard P2P applications (and the jaundiced view of
them, rightly or wrongly) would affect what folks are doing or
considering doing.  The questions were also somewhat specific to
North America, which is a substantially different market than the one
described in this paper, and which may well evolve differently.

This is a very interesting and thought-provoking paper, but it
doesn't answer the questions I was asking, I'm sorry if that wasn't
clear.

Roland Dobbins < [email protected]> // 408.527.6376 voice

                All battles are perpetual.

                   -- Milton Friedman