Re: today's Wash Post Business section

  • From: Alexander Harrowell
  • Date: Thu Dec 21 07:07:58 2006

Yes, Mac OSX has a whois client in Network Utility, but it's crap.

On 12/21/06, Robert Bonomi <[email protected]> wrote:
> From [email protected]  Wed Dec 20 21:49:49 2006
> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:48:06 -0500
> Subject: Re: today's Wash Post Business section
>

> At 19:31 -0800 12/20/06, Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> >Many people don't understand anything about how they access the Internet, they
> >have a vague idea that they need to type a domain name into a box somewhere...
> >so they type www.myspace.com into the Google search box, the result set pops
> >up, and then they click on the first result to get to the web site in
> >question... I've seen it more than once.
> >
> >Thomas
>
> Yeah, granted anyone looking for myspace might meet that demographic,
> but how many neophytes would use Google for a "IP Who Is" "search"?
> That's the listing I thought odd.

Does MS-Windows come with a 'whois' client?
Does MacOS come with a 'whois' client?

How many people have a search engine as their 'home page' in their web
browser?

How many end-user types _don't_know_ about anything other than a web-browser/
mail-client for Internet access?

With the 'forced education' most people get with regard to spam recieved in
their mailbox, it's not suprising that the masses are using the tools they
'know how to use' to check up on things.