Re: Bogon Filter - Please check for 77/8 78/8 79/8

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Mon Dec 11 19:14:12 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

no, he's saying that a lawsuit is a useful method of forcing someone
who is intentionally or negligently distributing incorrect information
that other people who do not know any better then believe and use in
their own networks.

i betcha libel laws aren't written in such a way that they are useful
here, however, there might be some kind of restraint of trade thing
that could be invoked or somesuch.  ianal, not my dept.
If you google for it, you'll find lots of obsolete bogon info, typically lacking the suggestion to check IANA's web site or other resources to check the freshness of the data or any warning that the data will change over time as more space gets allocated.

From the first page of google: bogon ACL cisco
http://www.tech-recipes.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6817

Do you threaten to sue them all? The real problems are all the networks that setup static bogon filters some time ago which nobody maintains or in some cases, even knows about. Changing a few web sites won't fix any of those routers.

It's a lousy position to be in, but my suggestion is try to make contact with the bigger / more important networks blocking your new space and let the rest of them figure it out on their own.

I'm surprised William's site hasn't been updated. He used to be fairly
active online. Has anyone heard from him at all recently?

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |