Re: DNS - connection limit (without any extra hardware)

  • From: Luke C
  • Date: Mon Dec 11 11:03:30 2006

of course, my company is working on two main tasks:
the first team is focused on discovering what is the virus, and what is the best anti-virus.
instead, my team has already scaled our DNS service, by doubling the number of DNSs.

I'm not completely satisfied by the "scaling solution": I wish to find a solution that could grant a good quality of the service without placing a lot of DNS in my web-farms

Thanks
Best Regards

Luke

On 12/8/06, Matt Ghali <[email protected]> wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Simon Waters wrote:

> I suspect complex rate limiting may be nearly as expensive as providing DNS
> answers with Bind9.

Indeed. It is generally accepted that it is easier to simply scale
your service to provide adequate headroom than implement per-client
traffic policies.

of course, you could also work on cleaning up the mess, but I will
charitably assume you are working the problem from both directions
simultaneously.

matto

[email protected]<darwin><
   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan