Re: Fwd: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Tue Dec 05 07:47:48 2006

> Thanks very much for this link (and the summary). I see an interesting
> (if not surprising) trend in Advertised AS Count. Up until 2001 it was
> accelerating... and after 2001 its stayed linear. However, unadvertised
> AS count which was basically stagnant has increased markedly before
then.

Those are not unadvertised ASNs. Those are only ASNs
which have been issued but are undetectable by his monitoring
tools. That doesn't mean that they are not advertised, just
that his tool cannot detect them. Given the fact that the
Internet is now thoroughly global with rich interconnectivity
in most regions of the globe, it is hardly surprising that lots
of ASNs do not get advertised globally.

The trend you see is likely cause by rich local interconnectivity
becoming the norm rather than a few circuits from the capital
city to some big U.S. city.

--Michael Dillon