Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Fri Dec 01 13:55:05 2006

agreed, let's NOT do the v6 thing... do the 32-bit asn's give us more than
just 'more bits' ? :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist). So, yes, let's get
someone to start testing, I'd just caution on assigning the 32-bit asn's
for real-users, since much of the net might not be able to use them,
partial reachability will/could-be a problem.
The good news is that 32 bit ASN's won't be assigned by default until 2009. Starting on January 1, 32 bit ASN's will be assigned- but only to those people explicitly requesting them. All in all it seems like a sensible migration strategy.

-Don