Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Fri Dec 01 12:20:36 2006

So, all of the current devices need to get upgraded before 'day one' of
32-bit ASN use... that'll be fun :) Why is RIPE passing out the 32-bit
ASN's now?
ARIN will begin passing out 32 bit ASN's to anyone who asks as of January 1, 2007. This is the same policy as RIPE so I don't see what the big deal is.

aren't there still plenty (+20k or so) 16-bit ASN's out there
for assignment? (perhaps I'm missing something on the need to allocate the
new asn's?)
By all means let's wait until the last possible second to upgrade ASN support. The waiting approach has worked so well for IPV6 :) Seriously though- why not let people start registering now. The only way we'll know if 32 bit ASN's will work is if we start using them.

-Don