Re: OT: How to stop UltraDNS sales people calling

  • From: Jeremy Chadwick
  • Date: Tue Nov 28 19:53:48 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:56:19PM -0600, Gadi Evron wrote:
> Okay, this was fun and I am all for OT fun. But can we please stop putting
> down a part of our community? Especially one which contributes to NANOG so
> much?
>
> We all have sale trolls to live with.

I both agree and disagree.  I agree that the put-downs are a bit
excessive (I laughed more than once :-) ), but I disagree with
the "sale trolls" comment.

UltraDNS's sales staff *does not* have to behave like this.
"Guerrilla" marketing is not an effective way of selling a
product, nor does it help establish an initial "good impression"
of a vendor, regardless of who they are, or what their track
record is.  In fact, at least when it comes to me, the less
aggressive a salesman is, the better chance he/she has of selling
me whatever it is they're selling.  (In general, they're best off
not contacting me in any way, instead letting me come to them
if I spawn interest in their services.)

Based purely on the OP's description, it sounds as if UltraDNS is
bordering on unsolicited telemarketing.  This should really be
reported to both someone within UltraDNS's mid-tier or upper
management; their sales tactic reflects very badly on the company
as a whole (this entire NANOG thread is proof of that; chances are
many of us now have a lesser opinion of UltraDNS than we did prior
to the initial post).

If that doesn't work, it's time to talk to the FCC, who may do
nothing.  But they would be more than willing to tell you if there
have been previous complaints about UltraDNS's solicitations.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |