Re: Network Connectivity... Dealing with Providers

  • From: J. Oquendo
  • Date: Thu Nov 16 08:39:38 2006

Ray Burkholder wrote:
If you have Cisco routers on either end, use the built in SLA capability.
It will give you ongoing abilty to trace latency, loss, jitter. It won't
tell you bandwidth, but will give you a set of metrics for traffic quality.
Do a full mesh between all your edge devices and it might help track where
in the middle your issues reside. The SLA tools are pretty standard to
Cisco devices and so should give you an edge in getting people to listen to
you.
Thanks for all the responses. I wish I had Cisco on both ends I would have configured auto-qos but
I'm stuck on Adtran (client) and I believe Juniper (provider). Anyhow for those who enquired, this is
what I am currently doing for my connectivity testing: (M = my connections, C = client)

M(GBLX) --> tcptraceroute && iperf && ping --> Client
M(LVLT) --> same as above --> Client
M(DSL) --> same as above --> Client
M(Verio) -- > same as above --> Client

C --> bing (Google, MSN, *PROVIDER*) && tcptraceroute --> M(GBLX)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(LVLT)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(DSL)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(Verio)

So far I have come across the following oddity I can't put my finger on:

# bing -P -D -c 25 -e 3 xxx.xxx.1.177 xxx.xxx.1.182

bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36

See a problem? xxx.xxx.24.36 is the provider's router two hops before the
CPE. I'm thinking, filtering? Maybe, I have no idea why xxx.xxx.24.36 is
getting in the mix of my packets. I have this scenario running every 15
minutes from all locations.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net
The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams