Router Options & Support Experiences

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Wed Nov 08 14:43:40 2006

I've got a client looking to upgrade their edge routers and they want to consider all of their options.

Right now we're looking at Cisco, Juniper and Foundry. I'd like to hear what other people have to say about the vendors, their offerings and their support. Do their products have particular strengths or weaknesses? Also, if anyone has another vendor we should be considering- we are open to suggestions.

In this case the router requirements are small- 5 GigE interfaces, BGP, OSPF, VRRP and the ability to handle as many PPS as possible so as to avoid a router DoS in the event of an attack (10 Mpps minimum).

I have my own opinions about each vendor but I'd like another perspective this time around.

Thanks in advance,
-Don