RE: Yahoo Postmaster contact, please

  • From: Frank Bulk
  • Date: Fri Nov 03 21:56:24 2006

I have one customer that's been having trouble (not specific to him, all of
our ISP subs send out via well-known gateways) and the message started off
with "451 Message temporarily deferred - 4.16.50" and the most recent one
was "Remote host said: 451 Message temporarily deferred - [190]".  When I
had this problem about 2 weeks ago I could manually initiate a connection to
any of Yahoo's MX records and get the first error message.  After I filled
out the "Yahoo! Mail Feedback" form on their website
(http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mail/cgi_defer/) I get this response four
days later:

=======================
Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

There appears to have been an incident involving capacity issues within
our delivery infrastructure. The error message "451 Message temporarily
deferred - 4.16.50" indicates that our MTAs are currently experiencing
heavy, unusual traffic. You may retry sending at a later time when you
see this message.

However please note that emails from the mail server(s) you are using
may also have recently become deprioritized due to potential issues with
its mailings.

These deprioritizations were temporary but may be re-triggered if the
sending IP profile continues to be poor. Typically, deprioritizations
are triggered by bad individual sender or MAIL FROM profiles.

Googling for some of these error codes yields this Yahoo discussion
(http://tinyurl.com/y3nm6p) of a week ago that talks about greylisting and
site upgrades, so hopefully this goes away sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Frank