Re: adviCe on network security report

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Nov 02 16:48:54 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Dave Rand wrote:
I did a study on this a few years ago.  I sent out about 20,000 abuse reports,
all by hand, to various network around the world.  They all came from this
email address, and were clearly identified as non-robotic, personal messages.
There were "many" bounces.

Less that 5% received any response.

Less than 1% received any action within 30 days.
An excellent example of not listening to ISP abuse and security folks, and
what kind of results you get by not working with them.

I don't know why security complaint vendors haven't figured this out. The music industry complaint vendors were doing a much better of job of listening to ISPs security and abuse groups and trying to make things work as smoothly as possible for ISPs. Its not anywhere near 100%, but they
make the effort to get their reports working within as many different ISP's systems as they can. The financial industry is behind the music industry, but is also trying to work with ISPs.

I know every ISP is different. Some won't respond to anything. Others will do everything possible to figure out your complaint. But listening to the ones in the middle, and figuring out how to work with them will probably help improve things above 1%.

Because they take so much abuse as part of their normal job, even the most motivated abuse people don't go out of their way to have more people shout "You Suck" at them. On the other hand, I suspect if they believe you can make their jobs easier and not shout at them, they can be
very gregarious about what they need.