Re: advise on network security report

  • From: Steve Atkins
  • Date: Mon Oct 30 13:07:11 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

o being put on a major DNS black list (spamcop, spamhaus, ahbl etc.)
o hosting malware or phishing sites, open proxies
o sending LOTS of SPAM, virus
o IRC abuse
o Botnet C&C
o hoping glue/fast flux
o abusive, vulnerable web servers
Some of those are clearly ludicrous to count as "incidents" at all
oh?  which?

i can see some not being clearly incidents, but rather operational
states, e.g. a vulnerable server/service.  but ludicrous?
Well, the data sources that have a significant false positive rate are
going to count many things as "incidents" that are anything but.
If sending closed-loop, opt-in email is considered equivalent to
hosting a botnet command and control network... the data is
meaningless.

In the hope of not pulling the blacklist trolls out of the woodwork
I'm not going to be more specific as to which of those data sources
have noticeable false positive issues, but I'm sure you get my point.

Cheers,
  Steve