Re: Buffalo, was passports for NANOG-39, Toronto

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Fri Oct 27 23:45:12 2006

>Don't neglect the border crossing delay.

I just drove back from Toronto this morning, with about a 20 minute
delay into the US.  It's hard to predict, some times it takes 30
seconds, on really bad times like the end of a holiday weekend it can
take two hours.

Flying into Buffalo is an entirely reasonable alternative to flying
into Toronto. Airtran, Jetblue and Southwest all serve Buffalo, so if
you're flying from other parts of the US, it's often considerably
cheaper than YYZ.  Renting a car and driving into Canada is routine,
just tell the clerk so he gives you a Canadian insurance card.  From
the airport head west on NY 33 to the Thruway/I-90, then east (which
is really north) on I-90 to I-290.

There are two bridges you might take.  The fastest is usually the
Lewiston/Queenston bridge; at the end of I-290 take I-190 north all
the way to the end to the bridge.  After the bridge just stay on the
highway which will take you to the QEW to Toronto.

The other is the Rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls; take I-190 north,
you will pay a toll and go over a bridge onto Grand Island, then
another bridge to leave Grand Island, then immediately get off on the
Robert Moses Parkway to the falls, and the bridge is right there.  If
you've never been to Niagara Falls before, stop and look at the falls
either from the US or Canadian side for a few minutes because it
really is one of the great wonders of the world.  After appreciating
the scenery, take highway 420 to the QEW.

The Peace bridge in Buffalo is way out of the way, not useful for this
trip.

Culinary hint: Buffalo's greatest edible contribution to the world is
a roast beef sandwich called Beef on Weck, and the best place to get
one is Charlie the Butcher, about five minutes from the airport.  Go
west on NY 33 from the airport, turn right on Cayuga St just after the
airport, go north about six blocks and it's on the left at the corner
of Wehle St.  The place is not much to look at, but the governor and
Hillary both liked it enough to send them signed photos.

R's,
John