Re: register.com down sev0?

  • From: Donald Stahl
  • Date: Fri Oct 27 20:53:15 2006

It's pretty well-known that register.com has been a source of spam, and that complaints to them have been ineffective.
Albert,

I don't know about Register.com's opinion but I dare say the statement above isn't very helpful to me as an admin.

When you say "has been a source of spam" is there a time frame involved? Was this in the last week? Month? Year? When you say "register.com" has been the source do you mean a) their netblocks b) their mail servers or c) partners acting on their behalf?

You also state that complaints have been ineffective. Again is there a time frame? Did anyone get back to you? Did they investigate? Did they give you a reason for ignoring or doing nothing about your complaint?

I ask this not because I want to know but because if someone from the company came here to address the issue then perhaps we should give them as much information as possible (After all- you have a contact now) Simply saying that "it's pretty well-known" doesn't really help.

I frankly doubt they would bother posting here with "let us know" if they had no intention of looking into it- this isn't exactly a group likely to be pacified by empty promises. (It's also possible that in the past the right people never found out- or that there are new people there who take the issue more seriously).

will be happy to hear that. If you're here to tell us that there never was a problem and that we're all just imagining it... you'll need these:
I don't think they are going to claim there was never a problem- unfortunately sometimes the marketing folks don't consult or listen to their technical folks- it's happened at a lot of companies. That said- I haven't had spam from a register.com netblock in a long time. Then again maybe I've just been lucky.

-Don