Re: Extreme Slowness

  • From: Jeremy Chadwick
  • Date: Thu Oct 26 19:58:14 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 06:01:43PM -0400, Elijah Savage wrote:
> For FYI :) I realize that ICMP is not the best way to test and it is
> not a true indication of slowness or the presence of a problem.

Which begs the same question I've asked in the recent past: then
what *is* a good diagnostic tool?  If ICMP "is not the best way to
test", then what is?  What other globally-implemented layer 3 or
below protocols do we have available for troubleshooting?

Sure, UDP-based traceroute still relies on ICMP TTL exceeded
as I haven't looked at it.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |