passports for NANOG-39, Toronto

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Wed Oct 25 23:28:02 2006

You may have heard that the US and Canada are going to start requiring
passports for air travel between them beginning "soon".  That date is
currently set as 8 Jan 2007, which is before February NANOG.  MERIT
has noted this on the web site, but a cursory check of my list
archives didn't turn up mention of it (sorry if I overlooked it; the
last couple of weeks have been hectic), so I figured I'd include the
pointer:

   http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0702/passport.html

as well as a link to the State Department:

   http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Normal passport processing is "within six weeks", but that probably
doesn't take the holiday season into account.  If you don't have a
passport already and plan to travel from the US to NANOG 39 in
Toronto, getting on that project sometime in the next month or so
would allow plenty of spare time.  No reason to pay expedite fees if
you don't have to.

                                        ---Rob