Re: Collocation Access

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Tue Oct 24 11:13:15 2006

Florida law, Title 13 section 322.32(2), "Unlawful use of license" says
"[i]t is a misdemeanor of the second degree ... for any person ... [t]o lend
his or her driver's license to any other person or knowingly permit the use
thereof by another."
That statute deals with someone else _using_ my license, but in no way
implies that my license can't be _held_ by someone else.   The title
clearly states "use". ;-)
The definition of "use" may be very key, as others have pointed out:

- They are "using" it for collateral.
- They are "using" it to keep track of who is in their facility at any given time in a manner convenient to them

Also, in english this sentence as parsed as:

( condition_1 ) OR ( condition_2 )

which would mean

( you lend ) OR ( you permit the use of )

which then asks "what's the definition of 'lend'"? Merriam-Webster includes among its many definitions, "to put at another's temporary disposal," which it certainly seems would apply, as the ID *is* at their disposal temporarily.

So don't kid yourself that it's really all that clear-cut.... Get a lawyer. :-)

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling
Manager of Systems Administration
Vassar College