Re: Collocation Access

  • From: Henry Yen
  • Date: Mon Oct 23 17:21:00 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 14:26:53PM -0500, Stasiniewicz, Adam wrote:
> That is true for strip card (credit card style) and simple prox cards.
> But what I have been seeing more often is that companies are using the
> smart card and wireless smart card variety for high security areas.  So
> instead of having a card that will always return the same value (making
> it easy to duplicate) the smart cards will use good old fashion PKI to
> mutually authenticate the card to the reader and the reader to the card.
> This way, the card won't give out its security information until the
> card reader is verified to be a legit member of the security system.  In

However, speaking of smart (non-simple-proximity) card security:

   Linkname: Researchers See Privacy Pitfalls in No-Swipe Credit Cards - New York Times

[ mild snippage ]

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York