Re: Collocation Access

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Mon Oct 23 17:04:21 2006

Edward Lewis wrote:

But, I always thought that the purpose of most security was psychological
reassurance anyway...

Reacting to this and the story of just walking through the backdoor to get in -

I think there's an element of self-fulfilling prophecy here. If the
Classical NANOG OT thread. Cant resist.

There is no doubt about it. 90% of security systems that were introduced following september 11 are knee jerk reactions to the threat of terroism.

Especialy when implemented by the private sector.

Case in point.

Pre 9/11, in WTC, you had to wait in line at the lobby and show ID and be issued a visitor badge with your picture taken and stored and/or be escorted up.

This was a knee jerk reaction to the previous bombings. (As if car bombs in the garage has something to do with ID passes in the lobby)

We all know what happens next. Very effective security if you ask me. They couldnt get in throught the lobby, so.....

Entry to 7WTC now requires.....bag searches.

The conspiracy theory states that people simply like to pretend that they are in control. That it is just a power trip.

Funny, entry to the crowded streets of manhattan requires.....nothing.

The only legit reason to take down peoples ID is to discourage theft/vandalism. And in an ideal world, we would be as concerned with the buldings privacy policy as we are with our online web vendors.

And judging by timing, that was not their intention.