RE: Collocation Access

  • From: Stasiniewicz, Adam
  • Date: Mon Oct 23 15:28:19 2006

That is true for strip card (credit card style) and simple prox cards.
But what I have been seeing more often is that companies are using the
smart card and wireless smart card variety for high security areas.  So
instead of having a card that will always return the same value (making
it easy to duplicate) the smart cards will use good old fashion PKI to
mutually authenticate the card to the reader and the reader to the card.
This way, the card won't give out its security information until the
card reader is verified to be a legit member of the security system.  In
addition to this, I am seeing a push to go with 2 factor authentication,
so you need the card plus some sort of biometrics.  This way, if you
lose the card, it is useless unless the criminal also managed to chop
off your thumb.

But if you are AT&T and have spend millions of dollars on equipping all
your COs with swipe readers because you got sick of having rekey the
locks every time someone lost a key; so when stuck with the choice of
replacing all of your COs' security equipment with something more
secure, or creating blanket polices, creating a policy is cheaper.

My $.02
Adam Stasiniewicz