Re: that 4byte ASN you were considering...

  • From: Douglas Otis
  • Date: Wed Oct 11 22:13:48 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 9:07 AM, [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:54:03 BST, Per Gregers Bilse said:

The problem is that from and including A we can't talk about the damned things any more -- we resort to spelling out each number, with no inherent and natural feel for what we're talking about.

An A380 has a maximum take-off weight of around 24E (two-four-E) tonnes.
An A380 has a maximum take-off weight of around 590 (five hundred and ninety) tonnes.
I've seen somebody pronounce C48C as 'ceety four hundred and eighty cee' - and the person listening grokked it. aety, beety, ceety, deety, eety, effty. aety and eighty are a bit too similar, unfortunately.
There is also a convention defined at-

'x' prefix/suffix convention for pronouncing hexadecimal numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

-Doug