Re: [Fwd: Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)]

  • From: Christopher Chin
  • Date: Thu Oct 05 13:18:12 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 (16:41 -0700), Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:41:21 -0700
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)]
>

> I receive these sorts-of notices from our OpenSRS-based registrar
> numerous times a year (usually once a month, for multiple domains).
> It may have something to do with the fact that I refuse to comply
> with ICANN's mandatory regulation demanding legitimate public
> contact information in WHOIS records.
>
> (If someone wants to hear my reasoning, I'll be more than happy
> to share.)

OK... I'll nibble.

I don't think you get this more than anyone else because
of your stance.   But perhaps that will change now that
you've publically declared your resistance.  ;-)

It's incredibly important that there be accurate
contact information for a domain.  If you don't want to
list any one person, for a particular role, you may opt
to use role accounts.  Unless I've misread and
misunderstood the policy, neither the contacts nor the
registrant need be a natural person.  Contacts can be
role accounts and the registrant can certainly be a
legal entity instead of an individual.

Additionally, if you have privacy concerns (which I can
certainly understand and respect), many Registrars offer
proxy contact options for a nominal fee.

 - Christopher