Re: [Fwd: Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)]

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Oct 05 08:16:32 2006

On 4-Oct-2006, at 19:04, Steve Sobol wrote:

ICANN *does* have a requirement for accurate information in WHOIS and
while I don't know how strongly the requirement is enforced, they *can*
pull your domain registration if you don't have accurate information.
While I'm not familiar with the precise enforcement mechanisms or policy, I do know of one ISP who had the delegation for their (.com) domain name unexpectedly pulled by the registry in response to a complaint about inaccurate whois information directed at ICANN.

It was painful for the ISP, especially since it happened during the time that Verisign's sitefinder was live, which caused e-mail to ISP customers to be hard bounced from Verisign and people looking for their web page to be presented with a "this domain is not registered" page instead of a browser error.

It's well worth avoiding, even without the additional sitefinder complications :-)

Joe