Re: AOL Non-Lameness

  • From: Simon Waters
  • Date: Tue Oct 03 06:48:31 2006

On Monday 02 Oct 2006 23:30, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> All, this seems seriously NON-lame to me.  Of course, testing and fixing
> the bug before it was put out there would have been less so.  But think
> of this!  A large company has actually admitted that it was wrong and
> backed out a problem!  Isn't this what everyone always complains SHOULD
> be done?  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Hehe, AOL also reject the URLs generated by the 'visitors' Apache log
reporting program. I pointed it out, they fixed it, then the next week it had
regressed. I think the problem here is trying to detect bulk unsolicited
email by its content. Its like assuming all DDoS address use ICMP packets,
sometimes it works, except people get angrier when you drop genuine email.

Quite why AOL incorrectly rejecting email is worthy of comment on NANOG is
beyond me, now if AOL stopped bouncing genuine email that might be worthy of
comment, but not on NANOG.