International phone numbers (was Re: AOL Non-Lameness)

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Mon Oct 02 20:47:32 2006

Judicious clipping; hope I kept the right attributions...

Ian Mason wrote:

On 2 Oct 2006, at 23:39, Rick Kunkel wrote:

I had users that appeared to be getting their email blocked seemingly
because in their sigs, they write their phone number that stupid
IP-Address-Wannabe method, like:

206.555.1212

As an aside, is this something that's the norm in other places, like
commas instead of periods for decimals in other countries?  I'd  hate to
sound critical if it was.

Normal practice in France; Belgium too I think.
It's normal in a lot of places. When you start to add in country codes, I suspect it's easier to type number dot number rather than plus number parenthesis number parenthesis number hyphen number and so on. I converted all my phone list numbers to that format long ago. It's just cleaner. Never thought about whether it was cool, or not. "Cool" is not on my radar.

--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.