Re: AOL Non-Lameness

  • From: up
  • Date: Mon Oct 02 18:51:54 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Rick Kunkel wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:53:56PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > > Drew the attention of a friend at AOL to this and got a reply quoted
> > > below - this was apparently an issue at AOL's end. Thanks to AOL for
> > > quickly acting to fix this.
> > >
> > > I've been asked by my friend to post this below
> > >
> > > srs
> > >
> > > [quote]
> > >
> > > We found a problem with the way URL's were being identified and have
> > > undergone steps to correct it.  In the interim, the rule change has
> > > been backed out pending further testing.  Thanks to all on the list.
> > >
> > > [unquote]
> >

> > All, this seems seriously NON-lame to me.  Of course, testing and fixing
> > the bug before it was put out there would have been less so.  But think
> > of this!  A large company has actually admitted that it was wrong and
> > backed out a problem!  Isn't this what everyone always complains SHOULD
> > be done?  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)
> >
> > Me, I'm always doing it, but that's just 'cause I have to.  ;-)
> >

> > --
> > Joe Yao
> >    This message is not an official statement of OSIS Center policies.
> >

> I had users that appeared to be getting their email blocked seemingly
> because in their sigs, they write their phone number that stupid
> IP-Address-Wannabe method, like:
>
> 206.555.1212
>
> As an aside, is this something that's the norm in other places, like
> commas instead of periods for decimals in other countries?  I'd hate to
> sound critical if it was.  It just seems that I know a large amount of
> very American people who have decided that phone numbers with periods in
> them somehow look more "hip" than dashes.  I despise that.  Can you tell?
> ;)

Do those people also put "http://"; in front of their phone numbers?  If
not, then AOL would reject any email containing an IP address in the
message body for any reason.

Kind of stupid if you ask me...I can see maybe boosting a score in
something like SpamAssassin for that, but outright rejection?  "Lame"
sounds pretty adept to me.

[email protected]							    http://3.am