Re: AOL Lameness

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Mon Oct 02 15:02:35 2006

Along the lines of "a picture is worth...etc.." an actual example of an e-mail that is sent out generating that error would be very useful.

I'm guessing that, from the page at the URL provided, AOL has decided that banning dotted quads from e-mails will cut down on the spam and phishing scams. They very well might be right.

Mike Lyon wrote:
OK, I should clarify this. The description that is on that link I put
in my original e-mail doesn't actually describe what is happening, but
that is the error they spit back at me.

What really is happening is that the url that is in my e-mail and when
you reolve it to an IP, if you do a reverse lookup on that IP, it
comes back with a generic DNS entry that my colo provider has assigned
to it. So the issue seems to be that the reverse DNS entry and the
domain name don't match. But this isn't really an issue, a lot of
providers do it this way.

But why is AOL being lame with this?

-Mike