Re: tech support being flooded due to IE 0day

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 01:13:48 2006

Paul Vixie wrote:
> [email protected] (Joel Jaeggli) writes:
>
>> Even in an enterprise it's really hard to justify the expenditure that a
>> rapid response to a host security problem involves. For an isp which is
>> not likely to be in the position to recover the cost of being reactive
>> let alone pro-active I can't imagine how they would possibly support
>> desktop issues like this.

<snip>

> the perfect storm is a million extra customers calling over the course of a
> week just to explain that they have "exploding DLL symptoms" and listen to a
> "live operator" tell them that this isn't a network problem and they should
> contact the dealer where they bought their computer, which is likely CostCo.
> assuming that this takes less than 60 seconds per affected customer, it's
> still a nasty unbudgeted expense and as a secondary burn it will make real
> network problems harder to report.

Indeed. I'm fairly certain that in the life-cycle of some network
maladies that decision has to be made as to whether you want to go out
of business sooner (no more customers) or later (costs). When given the
choice, I prefer the later.

Joel Jaeggli             Unix Consulting              [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint:   5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2