Re: tech support being flooded due to IE 0day

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 00:57:03 2006

[email protected] (Joel Jaeggli) writes:

> Even in an enterprise it's really hard to justify the expenditure that a
> rapid response to a host security problem involves. For an isp which is
> not likely to be in the position to recover the cost of being reactive
> let alone pro-active I can't imagine how they would possibly support
> desktop issues like this.

and yet, when i consider my nontechnical friends with their DSL and cablemodem
connections, i know that if they get hit by an exploding DLL, their ISP is one
of the likely places they will place a call.  and then they'll carefully nav
their way through what they call "voice mail hell" until they can talk to a
"live operator", no matter how complex that is, no matter how many steps, and
no matter how much musak-on-hold they'll have to listen to.

the perfect storm is a million extra customers calling over the course of a
week just to explain that they have "exploding DLL symptoms" and listen to a
"live operator" tell them that this isn't a network problem and they should
contact the dealer where they bought their computer, which is likely CostCo.
assuming that this takes less than 60 seconds per affected customer, it's
still a nasty unbudgeted expense and as a secondary burn it will make real
network problems harder to report.
--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email [email protected]