Re: Zimbabwe satellite service shutdown for non-payment

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Sep 19 11:09:16 2006

Brandon Galbraith wrote:
Does any fiber run into Zimbabwe? Or is everything via satellite? There has to be a remaining uplink (albeit low-capacity) if nameservers within the country are still accessible.

Zimbabwe's government owned telephone company controls Internet access. When I was working there in 98ish, it was mandatory for all providers to interlink with the telephone company and use their satellite uplink at outrageous pricing. There was a few exceptions, mostly companies that were faster than the telco at setting up Internet connections and had the political power to hold on to them. The only other connectivity feeding Zimbabwe outside of the satellite uplinks was microwave to South Africa where it picked up fiber. I believe this link was primarily for phone, and not Internet.

I doubt much has changed since I was there. Towards the end of my visit, riots broke out and shortly after I left it paid not to be white in Zimbabwe and definitely not a white farmer. The economy didn't fare well. A beautiful country, but unfortunately not very ideal for a network engineer.

Jack Bates