Re: Why is RFC1918 space in public DNS evil?

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Mon Sep 18 04:14:02 2006

Matthew Palmer wrote:
I've been directed to put all of the internal hosts and such into the public
DNS zone for a client. My typical policy is to have a subdomain of the zone
served internally, and leave only the publically-reachable hosts in the
public zone. But this client, having a large number of hosts on RFC1918
space and a VPN for external people to get to it, is pushing against this

In many scenarios the VPN'd hosts will ask for the names from the public DNS anyway, so I feel your client is right and it would be better for you to go with their wishes.

Pete