Re: ARIN sucks?

  • From: J Bacher
  • Date: Sun Sep 17 19:43:48 2006

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

It is indeed simple if you know what needs to be done and what is expected. Even in your case above you mislead people into thinking that one can "request the AS and a Subnet from ARIN". After setting up the various POCs (step #1), step #2 is getting an ORG. Step #3 is requesting the IP space and *not* the ASN. One can't get an ASN from ARIN *until* you have IP space.
Hank,

The real answer is "it depends".

From my correspondence with ARIN on behalf of one of my customers just a few months ago:

"Will you be requesting an AS number from ARIN? Under the intent to
multi-home policy, we've been asking customers to first submit a request
for an AS number."

For this particular (new) customer, the entire process was 3 weeks with majority of the delay getting payment remitted to get the allocation and then the ASN.

My experience with ARIN has always been positive (thank you).

believed to be clean.