RE: ARIN sucks? was Re: Kremen's Buddy?

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Sep 14 14:50:07 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Lasher, Donn wrote:

approved on the first try. I personally have a 0% success rate, and I
spent a year or two in college....
I assume you mean 0% success on first submission of the template. My experience has usually been that I don't give them quite enough detail on the first try. They say "fill in some more detail here and here." The hardest part for me has always been forecasting expected future need. Our business changes frequently, and I never know what our expected usage will be...at least not with any certainty. Last time, we were about to roll our DLSAMs in a bunch of COs. The FCC pulled the UNE rug out from under us right as we were beginning deployment, and we canceled that idea.

With RWHOIS your IP usage data is internal, easily searchable,
modifyable without going through email ping-pong with ARIN. We (at a
Are you aware of the use of ">" in [ARIN] whois queries? With that, it's trivial (though time consuming) to get a list of all your SWIPs, and then have someone verify that everything that should be SWIPed is, and any stale ones are undone.

I don't agree with the idea that you should only request and receive 3 months worth of IPs at a time, and I wonder how commonly anyone does that in practice...but this is the wrong list for that debate.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |